Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BLUE: Installation in progress – 4: Blue Falls


“Blue Falls” was the last piece I worked on, and I became quite obsessive about those dots by then. I now have an art wound on my thumb from molding too many balls of Elmer’s poster tack. The skin of my thumb starts splitting, but I can’t use hand lotion because it would make the poster tack not to be sticky. Who knew you could get an art wound from Elmer’s poster tack? I now feel like an art warrior with a minor wound.

Being in the spot of lights and surrounded by the two blue walls made me feel like I was in the pool of blue. It made me feel rather calm. Seeing all these dots growing and starting to inhibit the wall, I started to think about Yayoi Kusama’s polka dot nets. More dots I see on the wall, I want to make more to fill the space, and be lost in the shower of dots. But wait―that’s not what I wanted to make, so I try to stop that desire. I step back and look at it from afar, and then go back, so I don’t get lost in the blue shower. Kusama, who suffered from hallucinations, painted dots obsessively because that’s what she saw everywhere when she fell under the spell of polka dot nets. I imagine her in her polka dots world, and I wonder how she saw it all.

I’m in the blue space, making these dots/droplets on the wall― feeling exhausted from lack of sleep from insomnia in the last five nights. Then I look up and I see the blue droplets slowly falling over me. And I think it’s rather calming. 


Starting from the top...


and I want to put more...


and more... no, stop.


less is more


Blue Falls (almost complete)
84"x 38"
Elmer's poster tack on painted wall



... light and blue...



No comments:

Post a Comment